The Brandenburg Gate

Architect & Owner

Commissioned by King Frederick William II of Prussia as a sign of peace, Brandenburg Gate was built as the grandest of a series of 18 city gates through which Berlin was once entered. The entire construction and ornamentationof the Gate reflected its extraordinary importance as the monumental entry to Unter den Linden, the renowned boulevard of linden trees, which formerly led directly to the city palace of the Prussian monarchs.

Carl Gotthard Langhans (15/12/1732–1/10/1808) was born in Landeshut, Silesia (now in Poland). His inspiration for the Brandenburg Gate came from the Propylaea in Athens, the monumental entry hall of the Acropolis. Just as the Propylaea led to a shrine of the ancient world, the Brandenburg Gate was to represent the access to the most important city of the Prussian kingdom.